Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Rebound

After a debilitating loss to Gardner-Webb some two weeks ago, the Cats were ready for action this week. The two opponents that UK played this week were hardly strong competition, however the Cats responded the way you would hope this team would; it pounded both teams by a combined 74 points! I didn't get to see but about a half of the Liberty game, it was Wednesday night, and Wednesday night is bowling night. On a side note I did roll a 574 series, not my best, but not shabby at all. I digress.

What has impressed me the most about these two wins were the way we were able to put the proverbial "nail in the coffin" All too many times the past few seasons we would see our Cats constantly allow teams to stay in a game with us late into the second half. In these two games the Cats did a great job with pressure defense to help put these games well out of reach.

The play of the freshmen, especially Patrick Patterson, continues to impress. Patterson is everything that he was made out to be, and in the words of Dennis Green, "HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS" The head this guy has on his shoulders is well beyond his years. He is truly the complete package. Another freshman by the name of AJ Stewart has done well to take advantage of opportunities afforded to him due to the injury bug. AJ has shown his tremendous athletic abilities, and has done well to see that he will be a solid contributor for this season. While Alex Legion hasn't had the complete game just yet, be patient with this kid, I feel that he is on the verge of a big game. I believe that Billy Clyde is approaching his treatment of Alex, much to the way he has dealt with Joe Crawford. A little tough love should go a long way to help both these guys reach their great potential. So far this is paying off big time for Mr. Crawford, and I'm sure that Alex's progression isn't too far behind.

I can't forget to mention that the seniors played extremely well against Texas Southern. Both Ramel and Joe showed what they are capable of and what can happen when both play well and exert the leadership qualities seniors should posses. I hope this is a sign of things to come. Looking forward to Saturday when we welcome Roy Williams and the Tar Heels to town. Still not sure what to expect, but I'm sure Rupp will be rocking and I will be in attendance to hopefully witness the first big win of the Billy Clyde era. Also big shout-out to the Mormons of BYU for knocking off our beloved neighbors to the west. It never gets old seeing Louisville lose.

photo courtesy of ukathletics.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too bowl in a league (monday nights) and I bowled my first 700 series (706).

As for the games, it was refreshing seeing Crawford play a solid game where not only did his stat line look good, but also he played in the framework of the game and played his heart out. Probably the best game I have seen him play. What can you say about Patterson, he is a beast and a great addition to the team.